8.17.2010

Forever Changed

March 23, 2010 is the day my life was forever changed. It's the day I met my son. Before Knox my life was probably like most 25 year olds without kids. I worked, played, and played even harder on the weekends. Bills to pay was my biggest responsiblity. My relationship with God varied from month to month, even week to week sometimes. My social status was down right amazing. I had many different groups of friends I had met throughout life so Scottie and I always had something planned. Whether it was a birthday party, a huge event, or just a cookout to watch the latest football game. . we were always going going going. Scottie and I would be married soon, which made my life even more complete. It was the icing on the cake. Life really couldn't get much better. Then, 2 months before our wedding date I found out I was pregnant. That's right. I was a pregnant bride :) Shocked is an understatement when it came to how I felt. But shocked in a good way. I always pictured myself having kids by the time I was 25. It's just that 25 came up pretty quickly on me (sooner than I expected) and I wasn't ready to be a mother yet. My life was pretty awesome as it was. After the intial shock subsided, I couldn't believe I was about to have a child. Ever since that morning I found out we were pregnant, my life has forever changed. Something clicked and I was different from there on out. I like to think I quickly grew up, but do we ever really grow up? :) Anyways, my relationship with God was never a question from there on out. He had chosen me to be Knox's mother and for that I am eternally thankful. I often wondered and questioned, why me? Why was I chosen to be his mom? I wasn't living my life for the Lord each and every day, so why on earth would He choose me? I now, have no doubt in my mind that He knows exactly what He is doing. Period. 9 months of pregnancy really wasn't that bad. Of course at the time, it couldn't go by fast enough. But now I really miss it. I miss feeling his tiny little kicks. I miss the comfort of knowing that he is warm, and happy inside my belly. I miss the entire process. It's ridiculous what our bodies go through. . it works overtime to create a new life which is simply amazing to me. Amazing. 9 months of pregnancy is plenty of time to mentally prepare yourself for your precious little angel. . yeah right. I don't think you can ever really be prepared for that feeling of meeting your child for the first time. The feeling is truly something you can't describe. I'm not even going to try. . . 
3.23.2010 at 5:26 p.m. weighing 7.2 lbs, 19 inches long Brody Knox Shumsky entered the world via c section. I labored for 16 hours with him. I dilated to a 5 and stopped. I was stuck at a 5 for about 10 hours without any progress at all. After a long talk with Scottie ( he was more apprehensive than I was which was really sweet) we opted for a c section. I was ready to meet my son, and I was completely exhausted. And thats our labor story. That day in March I was forever changed. Since then, my life is now my son. Instead of reading gossip magazines I read books. Instead of staying up until 12 with friends, I stay up and stare at my son while he sleeps. Heels are no longer part of my wardrobe. I only wear makeup on the days I venture out of the house. My son is my life and I have a hard time remembering what life was like without him. Not a day goes by that I don't thank God for blessing me with this wonderful gift, the gift of being a mom. 

A letter to my son. . (5 months) 

Knox,
You have changed my entire outlook on life. Thank you for making me a better person. You challenge me each and every day, for that I am thankful..it keeps life interesting :) Your smiles turn any bad day into a good one. Raising you is the hardest but most rewarding job I have ever done. God chose me to be your mother so I hope to be the best mother I can be. I am so proud of the accomplishements you have achieved thus far, I can only imagine how proud you will make me throughout your entire life. God will always be a priority in your life, I pray that every day. I count my blessings each and every day. . you are healthy, beautiful, active, and growing by the day. I love to watch your mind expand as you discover life around you. Throughout life, I want you to know. . . You don't always have to be tough. It's okay to cry, you will not be looked at as being weak. Daddy and I will always support you no matter what. We want you to be able to dream big and accomplish those dreams. Anything is possible. You can come to us with any problems or questions and we will do our best to teach you and help you with anything you need. Trust God in everything you do. He is our savior and our reason for living. You will make mistakes, but take those mistakes and learn from them. Life will bring things to you at a certain time, for a certian reason. . go with those reasons because that is where the best memories are made. Have fun, laugh each day, and remember that you are very much loved. 





4 comments:

  1. This is beautiful Shannon!! So happy for you, Scott, and Knox.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so awesome! Knox is lucky to have you two as parents!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are the BEST mom Shanny! I love you and so thankful you are part of our family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sweet! Love the video! i wanted to cry and made me want to have another baby!!! :)

    ReplyDelete